"In Freud und Leid zum Lied bereit"
Teutonia Choral SingingThe Teutonia Männerchor is a private membership club with the purpose of furthering choral singing, German cultural traditions and good fellowship.
Lunches & BuffetsWednesday through Thursday, enjoy a buffet lunch and a buffet special. Friday lunch includes an à la carte menu and a Chef's daily special.
The Teutonia Männerchor was founded in 1854. It was an offspring of an organization called "Liederkranz" which was founded in 1851 by the Rev. Karl R. Weiterhausen. Later, the Liederkranz became the Freier Männerchor and then the Teutonia Männerchor. The name Teutonia stems from the one of the oldest German Tribes. The first meetings were held in the basement of an old Lutheran Church on Canal Street, Later, around 1882 the chorus practiced in Dahlingers Hall at 121 Madison Avenue. The Chorus then moved to the old Masonic Hall in Old Allegheny. Under President Henry Bergman, the property of St. Peters Church on Pike Street was purchased on February 28, 1887 (Renamed to Phineas Street). The Charter of Incorporation was approved on April 9, 1887 and the present building was built. Today, Teutonia has over 2,800 members and still growing. We can look back to our past with pride and to the future with much confidence.
As a private club, members are proposed for membership by other members. Prospective members must be age 21 and of good moral character and reputation. Members agree to support the purposes of the club, which are to "further choral singing, promote our German cultural tradition and extend good fellowship." A ladies auxiliary membership (non-voting) is available. If you are interested in joining, please speak with one of our members for more information. If you don't know a member, please talk to our manager. With over 2,800 members, one of your neighbors or co-workers may be a Teutonia member. Membership requires an initiation fee and annual dues.
The Teutonia Männerchor
THE EARLY 1800’S – Around the early and the mid-1800’s through the end of the century, there was a mass immigration from all across Europe to the United States. Many of the immigrants from Germany and other German-speaking countries came to Pennsylvania to what was then “Allegheny City” (now the North Side – just across the river from the City of Pittsburgh. So many German speakers arrived, the area became known as “Deutschtown.”
IN 1851, a group was founded known as the “Liedertafel” by a group of German-American men and Reverend Karl R. Weitershausen and met at the Weitershausen Church on Canal Street.
BY 1854, the immigrants who were gathering to sing the songs of the “Heimat” and share the old experiences at the “Liedertafel” decided to form a chorus called the “Teutonia Mannerchor”. This was just nineteen years after the founding of the first German singing society in America – in Philadelphia.
Around 1882, the Mannerchor met in Dahlingers Hall at 121 Madison Avenue and the growing membership decided that they needed a larger place to meet and sing.
IN 1888, after selling 300 “Building Shares” for $25 each. Our present hall was completed. A “Damengesellschaft” was formed and the ladies held a dinner to help with the purchase of furnishings.
TO THE END OF THE 19TH CENTURY – the club continued to grow and enjoy popularity and began to be (as it is now) a center of German cultural interests.
1904 – The 50th anniversary of the founding of the club was celebrated with dinners and special events and an imposing parade through the business district of East Ohio Street.
THE WORLD WAR 1 YEARS – The club participated in the National Sängerfest in 1914 but it was the last such event to be held until after the war. All outside events were suspended during the war, but internal functions continued. In 1918 a patriotic rally was held and a flag ceremony held to honor the members who had served in the United States Army.
POST WWI – National Sängerfest resumed, along with other club activities. The national gatherings attracted several thousand singers and were held every 3 or 4 years. The 1934 gathering was held in St. Louis. That same year, the basement was converted into an authentic German Ratskeller, looking much as it does today. The last Sängerfest before the start of the war was held in Chicago in 1938. The ladies had formed the Damenchor in 1935 and made their first appearance.
THE WWII YEARS – were difficult for the club and was a period when the club was looked upon with some suspicion, including surveillance by the FBI. The clubs tax-exempt status was not granted until after the war in 1947.
THE EARLY POST WWII YEARS – saw a new influx of German immigrants to the club. Some were “war brides” of American GI’s who had served in post WWII Germany. Others were individuals who came for the traditional reasons of immigrants to the U.S. They added a valuable resource that has helped the club continue and refresh its’ heritage.
1954 was our 100th anniversary and was again celebrated in grand style.
In 1967, Pittsburgh hosted the National Sängerfest and opened the roof of the then new Civic Arena. Over 2,000 singers attended!
The post WWII German immigrants provided many new members anxious to revive the memories of their childhood. Many had extensive family in Germany and the club enjoyed visits from these relatives and continued contacts with the many similar singing societies still functioning in Germany. This led to visits and joint programs with these societies and bands.
The first tour of Germany by our Männerchor and Damenchor in the early 1990’s resulted from these relationships and was a resounding success and led to two more such tours.
2004 was the club’s 150th anniversary and was celebrated in grand style. The club received significant publicity and reached out to the public. It began with a “big cocktail party – “The Jubiläum Anfang” in January. There was entertainment continually in the Ratskeller and the Hall, with regional delicacies offered throughout the club – over 400 members attended. A formal Dinner and dance was celebrated in Pittsburgh’s Grand Hall at the Priory (the converted St. Mary’s German church which shared its founding date with the club – 1854). Late summer was the outdoor celebration that was the centerpiece of the year and included the public. An enormous, steel frame tent was installed, German vendor booths and food booths were set up. And, of course, a Beer booth included German and domestic beers. Several German singing, dancing and band groups attended – as well as local area clubs. There was a full program of music, singing, dancing and eating. More than 3000 people attended and enjoyed the club.
Looking ahead to 2054 and beyond, the club is enjoying good membership and financial strength and growth. We are preserving the old traditions, while trying to stay “current” with communications and efforts that fit today’s lifestyle – as one member put it – “for our great grandparents and our great grandchildren.”
The Teutonia Männerchor was founded in 1854. It was an offspring of an organization called “Liederkranz” which was founded in 1851 by Rev. Karl R. Weiterhausen. Later, the Liederkranz became the Freier Männerchor and then the Teutonia Männerchor. The name Teutonia stems from the one of the oldest German Tribes.
The first meetings were held in the basement of an old Lutheran Church on Canal Street, Later, around 1882 the chorus practiced in Dahlingers Hall at 121 Madison Avenue. The Chorus then moved to the old Masonic Hall in Old Allegheny. Under President Henry Bergman, the property of St. Peters Church on Pike Street was purchased on February 28, 1887 (Later renamed Phineas Street). The Charter of Incorporation was approved on April 9, 1887 and the present building was built.
The cost of the land at the time was $5,000.00 and the building was erected for $8,800. The architect was George Ott and the contractor Stipecke Brothers. “Fachwerk“, an exclusive type of German architecture, was used for the exterior of the building. This traditional theme has been maintained to the present time.
The first meeting in the Hall was held on July 15, 1888. The official dedication of the Hall took place on October 15, 1888. The decorations were furnished by the Joseph Horne Company of Pittsburgh. Initiation fees were set at $5.00 and dues at $3.00 per year.
The 50th Anniversary of Teutonia was celebrated in grand style on September 26 & 27, 1904, including a parade through the North Side.
In 1934, it was decided to remodel the first floor of the Hall. Most of the work was done without compensation by members and it became a Ratskeller in true German style. On the 80th Anniversary of the Teutonia, that year it was decided to amend the constitution to honor those members of 25 years of service with an honorary membership “Life Member”: This practice is still continued today. Two adjoining houses were purchased by the club in 1947 for additions to the Hall and $27,000.00 was expended for improvements.
Our monthly newsletter (Teutonia News) was started under the editorship of Frank Riedl in 1951. The 100 year Centennial was celebrated in 1954. A banquet was held in the Upstairs Hall on May 16, 1954 and a concert at Carnegie Hall on Saturday June 12, 1954. The membership at the time was 897 members, including 65 singers in the Male Chorus and 45 singers in the Ladies Chorus.
In 1979, Teutonia celebrated its 125th Anniversary, Seven (7) coats of arms were donated to the club. The crests designate various areas of Germany and are now permanent fixtures on the walls of the Upstairs Hall.
Many improvements were made during the 1980’s and 1990’s. All the outside walls were restored air conditioning was added to the Upstairs Hall and kitchen and bar equipment was replaced. We are a German choral society dedicated to the preservation of German choral singing. Our combined group of the Men and Ladies Chorus present fall and spring concerts yearly, and participate in concerts by other German choral groups in the Pittsburgh and Tri-State area on a regular basis. Our combined choruses number 78 members with 40 regular male singers and 38 lady singers.
Today, Teutonia has over 2,800 members and is still growing. We can look back to our past with pride and to the future with confidence.
As a private club, members are proposed for membership by other members. Prospective members must be age 21 and of good moral character and reputation. Members agree to support the purposes of the club, which are to “further choral singing, promote our German cultural tradition and extend good fellowship.” A ladies auxiliary membership (non-voting) is available. If you are interested in joining, please speak with one of our members for more information. If you don’t know a member, please talk to our manager. With over 2,800 members, one of your neighbors or co-workers may be a Teutonia member. Membership requires an initiation fee and annual dues.
Club Sponsored Activities
Looking to get more involved? The Teutonia Mannerchor of Pittsburgh sponsors a variety of clubs and groups, giving its members the opportunity to meet, and become more involved within the club. Please review the list below. Get in touch with us, using the information at the bottom of the page.
A group of approximately sixty male singers. They perform at the club and in the tri-state area. Songs include classical and traditional choral music performed in the German language and dialects. They have performed in German tours three times in the past decade. Practice is each Wednesday at 8pm.
A group of approximately 35 ladies, who perform separately and in conjunction with the Männerchor as a mixed chorus. Practice is each Wednesday at 7pm.
- GEMISCHTER CHOR
The combined choirs when singing together. Link to chor activities.
- ALPEN SCHUHPLATTLER UND TRACHTENVEREIN
This dancing group is known for their traditional dances. Practice is each Tuesday at 7PM. More about Alpen Schuhplattler here.
- POOL LEAGUE
Starting each February, these members hone their pool skills every Tuesday. More about the pool league here. Information about the pool league’s 2007 season here.
- PITTSBURGH DISTRICT KINDERCHOR
A children’s singing group. Which performs traditional German songs at the club and other venues. They also learn basic German as part of their activities. Der Kinderchor page.
- THE TEUTONIA SCHÜTZENKAMERADEN
A traditional German shooting society which features 22 caliber rifles and hold practices, contest and dinners. The Schützenkameraden page.
- STEIN VEREIN (CLUB)
Beer stein collector club meeting and events.The Stein Club page.
- TEUTONIA HAUSKAPELLE
A traditional musical group made up of Teutonia members, which performs at various club functions.
- LUSTIGEN MUSIKANTEN
A group of musicians who perform in “jam session” style and are featured, periodically in the Ratskellar.
- TEUTONIA “66” CARD LEAGUE
Enjoying this old German card game in the Ratskeller every Friday night.
- BOARD MEMBERSHIP AND COMMITTEES
There are many opportunities to serve the Club and make new friends. We are happy to have volunteers serve on our committees. There is also the opportunity to help direct the future of the Club by becoming an officer or board member. Requirements for election are stated in our By-Laws.
- LEARN TO SPEAK GERMAN
Learn the language of our ancestors. Throughout the year, members are invited to participate in learning the German language.
Classes for Fall and Winter
$80 for eight sessions
$80 for eight sessions
Sign up at the club or
Contact Renate at
Interested in one of the activities above? Please contact us at 412-231-9141.
Lunch is served Friday from 11 AM to 2 PM
Soup du Jour
Featured Entrees – All features come with Soup, Salat or Side
- Wiener Schnitzel – breaded pork cutlet with lemon
- Schnitzel à la Holstein – breaded pork cutlet with a fried egg and anchovies
- Jäger Schnitzel – breaded pork cutlet with a mushroom sauce
Braunschweiger Club Sandwich
Thick Braunschweiger Cuts Served with Sliced Onions on Rye Bread
German Pork Sausage Loaf Served with Caramelized Onions
Wurst Duet Platter
Choice of 2 wursts: Bratwurst, Knockwurst, or Weisswurst
Duet of Schnitzel and Wurst
A Choice of 2 of Our Tasty Wurst Served with Our House Schnitzel
North Sea Cod
2 to 3 pieces – served to your liking either broiled, fried or seared
Jäger Schnitzel Meld
Our own Pork Schnitzel dipped in Mushroom gravy, served with melted Swiss cheese on a hard roll
6 ounces of Corned Beef atop Hearty Marble Rye
Our 6 ounce beer battered Fish served on a Kaiser Roll
8 Seasoned grilled to your desired doneness. Topped with American, Swiss or Muenster Cheese
Pork und Kraut Melt
Oven Roasted Pork with Sauerkraut and Swiss cheese on a Kaiser Roll
Choice of Bratwurst, Knockwurst or Weisswurst, served over sauerkraut on a Warm Roll
Haus Sandwiches accompanied by Haus-made Chips & Dill Spear – Lettuce, Tomato & Onion on request
À la carte
- Potato Pancakes
- Mashed Potatoes
- Cole Slaw
- French Fries
- Red Cabbage
- Spätzle (dumpling noodles)
- Vegetable de Jour
Every Friday we have a list of seasonal specials and dessert items. Kids menu items available. Please inquire our servers for details.
Are you having a special event? Contact us for all of your catering needs at (412) 231-9141.
Eating raw or undercooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish, or eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness
Attendance and Menu
A guarantee is necessary to insure proper food preparation for your function. A guarantee of the exact number in attendance for all banquet functions must be provided to the club two working days in advance of your event. This count is not subject to reduction after the deadline, and is the minimum amount of persons you will be charged for. Teutonia Mannerchor will be prepared to serve five percent over this guarantee. We reserve the right to make reasonable substitutions for menu items due to supply limitations. Menu selections are due two weeks prior to your function. Please call or use our Banquet Request Form.
Prices quoted do not include the seven percent Pennsylvania State Sales Tax on food items, a twenty percent Service Charge on all food and beverage items, or the Allegheny County Drink Tax. Prices listed are subject to change without notice.
Teutonia Mannerchor requires a deposit to be paid at the time the function is booked. The Club will retain the deposit if there is a cancellation without two weeks advanced notice.
Payment must be made prior to or at the conclusion of your event. Billings are not encouraged and must be pre-approved by the Club.
Limited off street parking is available on the East and West sides of the Clubhouse. On street parking is also permitted. It is self parking and we cannot assume any liability.
There is a basic room charge for the use of the Sängerhalle. The room charge covers the cost of utilities, set up, clean up, and maintenance of the Sängerhalle.
Guests MUST be accompanied by a member while at the club.